Thursday, October 8, 2009

Technology Tools - Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

The social media revolution has taken hold. Those of us who cut their teeth in the field of public relations in the 90s have a unique position: a level of solid strategic experience, and a whole new set of tools to deliver communications messages. I was fortunate enough to work for public relations giant, Fleishman-Hillard, Inc., learning everything I know about communications, client service and navigating the work place there. (Yes, I do see elements of the Mad Men series in my experience.)
In the day, Budweiser in the corner refrigerators (available after 5), client lunches, extracurricular activities (?!?) ruled.
Just as the media landscape has changed so too has public relations... no more control of the message, more partnering and engaging your stakeholders. As one who started in Montessori school and one who has been most influenced by my experiential education experiences (Coro Fellowship, Study in London) and constantly seeking out the new, I am a great example of "teaching an old dog new tricks."
Identifying your stakeholders will not change. How they like to be reached is shifting. Since starting my own business, AHC Consulting, in 2007 I have embraced the opportunity to learn all that I can about new ways to reach and engage audiences. I will never be an expert, no one can know everything, but are there new ways to reach people and influence and change their behavior. Tomorrow I will visit a bit about Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook on Charlie Brennan's KMOX radio morning program. Not because I am an expert, but because you can "teach an old dog new tricks...."

No comments:

Post a Comment